Monday, June 29, 2009

Day Two

He Said:
Ok, so before I give Her the computer, let's get one thing out in the open. It is not twelve hours from Portland to Yellowstone National Park. I just wanted to mention this, as I know my counterpart will be complaining of this below. I made a slight miscalculation of the mileage, but I am man enough to admit when I am wrong or when I have made a mistake. It really isn't my fault. My dad always drove to Yellowstone, never mind the six times I have made the pilgrimage myself. Now...on to day two.
So we awoke at 6:30 in the morning to a beautiful blue sky and eagerly packed up the bike. We sped off to McDonald's for a proper breakfast and plotted out our day. She made a couple phone calls and I sent a few texts to family before we mounted the machine for what promised to be a nice relaxing day on the road to Yellowstone Park. Little did I know that the day would end up being one of the longest days for me on a bike.







As mentioned above, I was under the impression that it was a total of twelve hours from home to Yellowstone. So, having done five hours on day one, I figured that we only had approximately seven hours of riding for the day before we were in a nice warm hotel room in West Yellowstone. Because of this thinking, you can imagine my surprise when the seventh hour came around and we still had at least four hours to go. As we fumbled for an explanation, one thing was clear. It isn't twelve hours from Portland to Yellowstone.

As we pushed on, She showed amazing character and had a wonderful attitude towards the whole thing. She proved to be quite a trooper and didn't even make one smart remark...ok, maybe a few. That's just another reason she is the only one for me. She proved to be fantastic, despite a set back that would promise to make her arse soarer than soar.
Eventually we made it to West Yellowstone, tired and sore, but there. My parents had hooked us up with the only available room in town and it turned out to be the best place. The people who own it are fantastic and really believe in customer service. If you are ever in town, stay at the Alpine Motel. You won't regret it.
After a quick pizza and beer, it was lights out at about ten or so. It was the end of a long day.


She said:








***Please note***Yellowstone is not 12 hours from Portland. In case you have also been mislead by several trips there seeming to only take 12 hours.
I have to admit, I have no leverage to complain as I was able to set off on this adventure by stuffing a few clothes and my mascara in a bag and throwing myself into the arms of my trusted companion. I find myself in constant celebration over a trip with no responsibilities attached and therefore do not mind an extra mile here and there.

Noteables:
  • Idaho- much the same as it was in March.

  • I saw a full rainbow! Like the kind you draw and color in as a kid! It was extremely exciting. I am pretty sure I am living the abundance of the pot of gold end :)

  • Seems like bum is doing well. Lower back has taken the brunt of the ride. Nothing a few Advil can't handle :)

  • West Yellowstone is fabulous. They have terrific pizza and the nicest couple alive! We were welcomed with hot beverages, a bag full of sample items, and a personal tour of the quarters. Of course, by this time, all I wanted was a shower and some quiet but I would never admit that to the hostess with the mostest. We will come again Alpine Motel!






No comments:

Post a Comment